Wisconsin Voter Photo ID

We encourage you to download, print & distribute the following informational flyers (in PDF format). 
Wisconsin Photo ID for Voting - What College & University Students need to know

Obtaining a Photo ID for Voting

If you do not have an ID for voting purposes, you can obtain a free one from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (DOT), and here is a video with an explanation of the process. If you do not possess the required documents in order to obtain a free photo ID for voting, you may petition the DMV to verify your identity with a state or federal agency. File a petition as soon as possible. The DMV will try to complete verification within seven business days, but the process may take longer. You will need to check a box stating that you wish to have the ID for voting purposes. 

Documents Needed to Obtain a Photo ID for Voting

You need to present the following types of documentation (list is not exhaustive):

  • Proof of name and date of birth, usually a certified birth certificate or passport (a fee is required to obtain either) and certified marriage certificate or judgment of divorce (if name changed)
  • Proof of identity, usually a Social Security card
  • Proof of Wisconsin residency, usually utility bill, lease, or pay stub
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship
  • Social Security number
  • Click here for a list of acceptable documents

For shortest lines, visit the DMV mid-morning or mid-afternoon.
Try to avoid Mondays, Fridays, and the beginning or end of the month.

ID customers are given priority service at the DMV. Although wait times vary by location and day, the DMV reports that 70% of customers wait in line less than 20 minutes. Everyone who is in the office at closing time will be served. Contact the DOT by calling 608-266-2353 or visiting http://wisconsindot.gov.

Obtaining a Birth Certificate

Obtain a Wisconsin birth certificate by contacting the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, where you will need to come with a $20 fee and one of the following forms of ID:

Help is Available

If you are a senior citizen and/or in need of assistance, contact your local League of Women Voters

An acceptable form of Photo ID for Voting does NOT need to show the current address.

Acceptable Photo IDs:

  •  Wisconsin DOT-issued photo ID card expiring after November 4, 2014
  •  US passport expiring after November 4, 2014
  •  US Military ID expiring after November 4, 2014
  •  Certificate of naturalization issued within the last 2 years
  •  Unexpired Wisconsin driver's license or state ID receipt
  •  ID card issued by a federally recognized Native American Indian tribe in Wisconsin
  •  Veterans ID card, unexpired or with no expiration date
  •  A photo identification card issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college, or technical college that contains the following:
      • Date the card was issued
      • Signature of student
      • The university or college ID must be accompanied by a separate document that proves enrollment, such as a tuition fee receipt, enrollment verification letter, or class schedule. 

The Following Voters are Exempt from Photo ID:

  • Military voters
  • Voters who are permanently overseas
  • Confidential voters
  • Indefinitely confined voters (elderly and/or disabled voters who are permanent absentee voters)
  • Nursing home residents and others who have ballots delivered by Special Voting Deputies
  • Residents of Care Facilities who are not visited by Special Voting Deputies

For further inquiries, the Wisconsin Election Commission has an informative website about Voter ID called Bring it to the Ballot. This site has definitive information on what ID is required and how to get ID if you do not already have it.

Copyright League of Women Voters of Wisconsin